Summary[edit | edit source]
Balboa Island is the third place the player visits while following the main game Story. Unlike the other Islands, Balboa Island is an Evergreen Island and therefor home to Bears, and the first boss-level enemy; Mama Bear, both threats to the player, making it the most challenging area of the three in Chapter 1. The Island itself is a huge rock formation with a bending river flowing through it. The river is very narrow, so the player is most likely forced to swim to the Island from their raft. Birch Trees and Pine Trees can be found aplenty, making Balboa Island a good destination for players looking to restock on Planks.
Balboa Island has a Ranger Station as well as three Relay Stations. More story related notes are spread around the Island than previous lore-related locations, making the Balboa Historian achievement slightly harder to achieve compared to the other historian achievements. Hints as to what has happened on the Island is revealed in notes, as well as some interesting visual hints. There are a lot less Quest Items on Balboa Island then Vasagatan, making instead exploration and traveling the more time consuming endeavors.
While exploring, the player will also find a number of Blueprints.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Go during the day. Since the place is huge, darkness will almost certainly disorient the player completely. Make several day trips to the island, but go back during dark.
- Bring enough weapons. There are quite a few bears on the Island, and they respawn a few minutes after being killed. Bears can be avoided once the player takes note of their location, but completely dodging them is near impossible.
- Use the way signs and follow the roads. Getting lost is easy.
- Start with luring Mama Bear away from her cave and loot what's inside to save time walking. This can be done by filling a nearby container with berries (see below).
Special Places[edit | edit source]
Unique Items[edit | edit source]
The unique items contained on the Island are used to progress in the Story and gain all the achievements.
- Wild Berries - Used to lure away Mama Bear from her cave, in which a Machete and the Blueprint: Machete can be found.
- Brunos Hammer - Necessary to find the note behind the tool rack at the Ranger Station.
- Brunos Saw - Necessary to find the note behind the tool rack at the Ranger Station.
- Brunos Wrench - Necessary to find the note behind the tool rack at the Ranger Station.
- Lightbulb - Needed to complete the Fix Errol! achievement.
- Blueprint: Fuel Tank - Found inside Relay Station 6.
- Blueprint: Biofuel Refiner - Found inside the Relay Station.
- Blueprint: Machete - Found inside a toolbox found inside Mama Bear's cave.
- Blueprint: Pipe - Found in Relay Station 4.